These past couple weeks have been FULL. They’ve been full of new places, new things, new people. It’s been GOOD. Our team is meshing well. We’re laughing a lot and growing together. God has put us together for a purpose, this much we know. He sure knows best what we need, even when we doubt it.
Sunday and Monday this week were sick days for me. Some of us have been dealing with a fun little bout of “the runs,” haha…and as a result I had to lay low for a few days because I was just plain exhausted. It frustrated me. I hate being sick because I feel so listless and worthless. I want to DO something. I feel like I have no purpose. But through this time, God has been showing me that I don’t have to do anything to earn His love…I already have it.
I’m learning to stop and simply rest with Him. It’s a learning process, but it’s a good one.
Favorite moments of the past couple weeks:
- Riding in the back of the truck on the way up to Padre Las Casas
- Getting to know Pastor Meco and being increasingly humbled by his heart to serve God, his church and us
- Being bombarded by the Compassion kids while taking pictures
- Watching baseball players warm up and play just outside our apartment
- The daily thunderstorms that rumble through the town every afternoon
- Washing clothes for the first time in 2 weeks
- Cooking on the gas stove in the dark and having family (team) dinners by lamplight
- Playing volleyball with the kids at Compassion yesterday
- Giggling with the children that join us under the gazebo in the park each day
- Taking pictures with all of our new friends at Compassion and being rewarded when they converse with us in their newly learned broken English 🙂
Oh and guess what woke me up this morning?
- Crowing roosters
- Barking dogs
- Roaring motorcycles
- Blaring music
- Garbage trucks rumbling down the street
- People talking loudly right outside the door
- Morgan snoring
- A helicopter landing in the baseball field in our backyard
- All of the above
I have a feeling it’s going to be a crazy next 10 months doing this over and over!
This is me and Britny, Chido, and Natalia. 3 of my favorite gals at Compassion.
P.S. As I’ve been sitting here writing this blog, a man has tried to kiss me and serenaded me and my teammate Morgan with quite the song, we are surrounded by kids who come to join us here, and I have taken 40+ pictures on my computer with them. It’s truly hilarious being white and American and female here 🙂